GROUPS OF TEN OR MORE MUST ALWAYS CALL FOR
Moonlight Walks are held in the Spring and Summer on Friday nights, usually closest to the full moon (see schedule below).
*Note that heavy rain or dangerous conditions may cancel all walks WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE!
Dates: 2017 - May 12, June 9, July 7, August 4, September 8
||The hike begins at 7:30 pm - please check in at the Nature
Center by 7:15 pm
||$2.00 Donation per person (including children)
This helps cover the costs of refreshments. Wear any Eaton
Canyon T-shirt or hat (or join the ECNCA on the night of the
walk) and the walk is FREE! For those who join ECNCA, their
entire group (up to 5 people) get the walk for free
||Wear sturdy walking shoes or boots.
||Dress appropriately for the weather.
||Bring water. (No glass containers)
||Please do not bring your dog (except service dogs.)
||Flashlights are discouraged.
| || |
||Gift shop will be open before & after the walk.
||Refreshments are served after the walk.
If you still have questions, call (626) 398-5420.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I bring a group to the walk?
- How big a group?
- Groups of 10 or more must make advance reservations
- Groups must provide acontact name and phone number to be confirmed.
- Large groups (over 15 people) are subject to the approval
and confirmation of the walk coordinator (call 626-398-5420).
- We will limit the number of large groups that can attend on
any one night.
- What is the age range of the group?
- There must be one adult (at least 19 years of age) per 10 “kids”.
- At night, we discourage strollers. (Children need to walk or be carried.)
- It is challenging to lead a walk and watch small children. Parents/adults need to be monitoring their children’s
behavior to ensure their safety and the safety of others (we can
not be babysitters).
- We cannot guarantee a large “group” will be able to able to stay
together or that a small group (i.e. a scout group or a birthday
party group) will be the only people within a walking group.
We need to look at the overall picture and not just the
situation with one particular group. If you want a
“private” walk just for your group, you should not attend the
- The contact person should go to the Information Desk when the
group arrives (we’ll also verify the final group head count).
The contact person should make the donation for the entire group at this time (instead of having everyone come up individually).
What if I/we arrive late for the walk?
- The walks start at 7:30 p.m.
- Please check in in the Nature Center 15 minutes prior to the
- People can not be in the park after dusk unless they are with an official canyon program. Late arrivals will be asked to leave the park. No exceptions.
How much does it cost?
- We ask for a donation of $2.00 per person, children included.
And we are very flexible about this!
What types of walks are there? Is it fast or slow? Can a small child keep up?
- The groups can be faster or slower, have more educational information or less educational information depending on the folks present, their ages and their interests. We try to group folks by their general preferences, such as families with small children in the same group, families with older children in the same group, etc. Bottom line, our goal is just to
make the walk groups as evenly split as possible.
- We cannot and will not exclude anyone from a particular group.
(For example, we were asked for an adult-only group. Based on the makeup and number of people that showed up for the walk that night, this was not possible. We would not exclude children from one group in order to meet the requests of a couple of adults.)
What do I do when I get there? Where do I go?
- When you arrive, go to the Information Desk inside the Center
where we will be taking donations.
- After you receive a walk sticker, if it’s early, you can look
around the Center. At the time the walk is scheduled
to start, we will ask folks to go out into the patio where the
walking groups will be organized.
- People are only allowed to be in the park at night with an
- No dogs allowed on the walk (except service dogs).
- Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Dress appropriately for the walk (no sandals, high heels, etc.)
- Bring water in unbreakable containers.
- Flashlights are discouraged.
- If bugs are a problem for you, bring or wear bug repellent. (We don’t have any to sell.)
- This is a natural area and we do have snakes, coyotes, etc. We ask everyone to be aware and be safe.
- If you wear an Eaton Canyon shirt, the walk is “free”. If you join the ECNCA on the walk night, your walk is also “free”.
- Moonlight Walks will be cancelled without notice, if there is
any rain or nighttime conditions are deemed to be unsafe.
Anyone who does not follow our “guidelines” (e.g., adults need to
monitor their children) will be asked to leave. Safety is our priority!
Back to top